“A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from a mountain top.”
One of the most valuable things a man can possess is wisdom. Yes, we do have a whole lot of knowledgeable people but very few wise ones. Here’s the difference, knowledgeable people are filled with a lot of information.Wise people know how to apply that information in the right way.
This is why I want to briefly share with you 10 wise sayings from the book of Proverbs that you can learn from and use:
1) Proverbs 22:22-23 (GNT) – “22Don’t take advantage of the poor just because you can; don’t take advantage of those who stand helpless in court. 23 The Lord will argue their case for them and threaten the life of anyone who threatens theirs.” – There are times it seems like they don’t have any help but there is a God that will defend them and fight for their rights.
2) Proverbs 22:24 (GNT) – “24Don’t make friends with people who have hot, violent tempers. 25You might learn their habits and not be able to change.” – Remember if you spend time in their company you will be influenced by them and not have the power to resist.
3) Proverbs 22:26-27 (GNT) – “26Don’t promise to be responsible for someone else’s debts. 27 If you should be unable to pay, they will take away even your bed.” – You will put yourself in a position to be stripped of everything you own if you cannot meet your obligation.
4) Proverbs 22:28 (GNT) – “Never move an old property line that your ancestors established.” – Give yourself time to see the value they saw. They left a legacy for you to build on.
5) Proverbs 22:29 (GNT) – “Show me someone who does a good job, and I will show you someone who is better than most and worthy of the company of kings.” – Real commitment and dedication to something will produce noticeable results.
6) Proverbs 23:1-3 (GNT) – “1When you sit down to eat with someone important, keep in mind who he is. 2 If you have a big appetite, restrain yourself. 3Don’t be greedy for the fine food he serves; he may be trying to trick you.” – Lack of discipline can cause you to be fooled and make a bad decision.
7) Proverbs 23:4-5 (GNT) – “4Be wise enough not to wear yourself out trying to get rich. 5 Your money can be gone in a flash, as if it had grown wings and flown away like an eagle.” – One bad encounter can suddenly wipe away everything you’ve labored and struggled for.
8) Proverbs 23:6-8 (GNT) – “6 Don’t eat at the table of a stingy person or be greedy for the fine food he serves. 7 “Come on and have some more,” he says, but he doesn’t mean it. What he thinks is what he really is. 8 You will vomit up what you have eaten, and all your flattery will be wasted.” – Be careful of dining and associating with evil men who use their kindness to trick you. You will regret your words of appreciation for their favors when you realize who they really turn out to be.
9) Proverbs 23:9 (GNT) – “Don’t try to talk sense to a fool; he can’t appreciate it.” – Real appreciation takes understanding. Don’t exhaust yourself trying to convince a fool.
10) Proverbs 23:10-11 (GNT) – “10Never move an old property line or take over land owned by orphans. 11 The Lord is their powerful defender, and he will argue their case against you.” – You will be looked at as one who takes advantage. You may not be able to handle the outcome when their defender, the Lord comes to their rescue.
This is only a taste of what the book of Proverbs has to offer. The bad news is I’m out of time, the good news is you can find these at Proverbs 22:22 – Proverbs 23:11.
(Note: All scriptures are taken from the Good News Translation (GNT) Copyright © 1992 by American Bible Society).
Take care until………and God Bless ya
Are you ready to face eternity? If you have not accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour of your life and desire to make that commitment now please repeat the following prayer:
Lord Jesus be merciful to me a sinner. I realize that I have sinned against you and come short of your glory. I confess that Jesus Christ is Lord and I believe in my heart that God has raised him from the dead. I pray for your forgiveness and ask that you save me now and accept me into your kingdom. Give me eternal life today.
In Jesus Name, Amen.